What I'm Doing Now
I'm currently in Singapore! But still based in Perth, Australia, and investing my time in:
Developing products for namesuppressed,
and feeling more enthusiastic about product development than I have in ages:
- My Plaid Lite Photoshop plugin for macOS is in beta right now.
- DashPlan, my planning & project scoping app for solo software developers is in early beta. It's inspired by Joel Spolsky's Painless Software Schedules essay. It works on macOS, Windows and Linux too.
- My macOS Photoshop plugin framework is at minimal viable product status. It works. Want to port FilterMeister Photoshop plugins from Windows to macOS with almost zero code changes? I'll be able to help you with that really soon.
- Gardening. My garden is in the best condition it's been for years, and now it's full of solar lights too. If only the Google Maps team would drive past & update the photos of the house...
- Tracking the tech & creative conferences monthly at Indie Conference.
- Reading. I've just finished Create Or Hate, Turning Pro and Do The Work. Up next on my list are Zero To One by Peter Thiel and How To Sell At Margins Higher Than Your Competitors by Lawrence Steinmetz.
- Learning German. I've completed the German DuoLingo tree, but I'm still struggling with conversation & fluency.
- Considering moving to Berlin. It's still my favorite city and I'd still like to live there one day. Tentatively thinking of a trip in mid-2017 (before the elections), but we'll see.
Things I'm Not Doing
Eurovision: I'm not doing ESC work at the moment. For Eurovision interviews with an Australian perspective, I highly recommend Jasmin Bear from Eurovision By Jaz and ESC Insight, or Renee Pozzi, founder of ESC Daily.
Exercising: I haven't been enjoying running or weights or gym during winter, and I've been much more productive when I don't go to the gym, so I'm taking an intentional guilt-free break. Now that summer is beginning in Australia I might try starting this again soon though.
Starfighter / Stockfighter: This was a programming talent/hiring startup that run stock market challengs. I'm proud of how I scored on their coding challenges, I was in the top 1% - 3% of programmers on several challenge levels and in the top 250 overall (out of about 50,000 total players, 10,000 active). But Starfighter have ceased operations. At least I learned some Go coding along the way & renewed confidence in my skills.
When my activities or priorities change, I'll update this page.
Recent Listening List
Mandopop! I've been introduced to some Taiwanese Metal/Pop while here in Singapore, and it's kinda awesome. Great to finally have more Asian music in my otherwise mostly Euro-centric collection.
- Straight To The Point by A-Mei / AMIT
- What D'ya Want? [NSFW] by A-Mei / AMIT
- Dog by A-Mei
- Double Cross [NSFW] by A-Mei / AMIT
- Wir Sind Die Gipfelsturmer by Unheilig
- Nie Vergessen by Glasperlenspiel
- Das Leben ist Schön by Unheilig
This page was inspired by Derek Sivers' Now page idea.
Last Updated: 9 December 2016.
© Kohan Ikin.